25 February 2010

Crushin' The Russians! Canada 7 - Russia 3!

Wow. I'm finally calmed down enough to write about the Canada v.Russia game last night. It was absolutely the most amazing sports experience of my life. My voice is gone from screaming and cheering and my ears were still ringing this morning from the incredible noise at GM Place.

As a Canadian, I've grown up hating the Russians for claiming supremacy in "OUR" game. Challenging the Russians at hockey is part of what defines us as a nation. And not only did we beat them, we annihilated them. Crushed them. Obliterated them. Dominated them. Embarrassed them. Kicked the crap out of them. It wasn't even close, not for a moment. By the third period the Russian players were dancing around away from the boards they were so tired of getting crushed by our players.

For me, this was perhaps sweeter than winning the gold medal is going to be on Sunday. When I've watched Team Canada play on TV, I've always wondered how exciting it would be to actually be at a big game like this...and it was more incredible than I ever imagined. The energy, the buzz, the ecstasy when Getzlaf first scored.

As the crowd started to head for the exits after the game I noticed a young Russian woman sitting in her seat with tears streaming down her face. It is exactly how I would have felt if the score was the other way around.



Go Canada Go!!!



Judie and I looking tense before the puck drops...I was even more nervous than I look!



Santa drove all the way from the North Pole to give us all an early Christmas present



The crowd



The puck drops!



The crowd erupts after Getzlaf scores to make it 1-0 at 2:21 of the first period!



Rick Nash made it 3-0 and the crowd was giddy with excitement!



No one could believe we were up 4-1 against powerhouse Russia at the end of the first period!!!



We want gold!



The amazing destruction of Russia is comlete!



Team Canada thanks the Ruskies for coming out to play OUR game!!!



The crowd applauds the boys for a job well done

The game against Slovakia will not be easy...I've seen them play and they are the real deal. But if Canada plays with the heart and intensity they played with against Russia, Slovakia and the then the gold medal should be OURS!!! I'm going to the bronze medal game with Ken...I'm hoping to cheer on Slovakia against Team USA!!!

Go Canada Go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment