29 July 2010

Dinner At Rosecliff



Parties at the Newport mansions in Rhode Island...that's how I roll, baby! Rosecliff has been featured on America's Castles and is one of the many summer "cottages" preserved by the Preservation Society of Newport County.

It was built in 1902 by Theresa Fair Oelrichs, a silver heiress from Nevada, who modeled the mansion after the Grand Trianon of Versailles. The ballroom is the focal point of the property. After dinner, a 14 piece band played 3 solid hours without a break, covering everything from Chattanooga Choo Choo to Poker Face.

Have you ever seen such a beauty? This is the car I rented in Newport. We had a few pre-dinner whiskies at the hotel and I was feeling a little tired so I just parked on the lawn in the back yard. Oh yeah, and Judie is in the picture too.
The Great Gatsby was filmed at Rosecliff.
Dinner was in a tent on the lawn...a tent with hardwood floors and air conditioning. Each of the 8 courses was paired with a wine. This is the sort of mindless, mundane crap I have to do for work. I really took one for the cause, and I hope my coworkers appreciate my sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment