18 August 2009

Coffee Wars (Monday)


After years of being a diehard Tim's fan in Halifax at university, my move to the west coast precipitated a shift to Starbucks. Then came Bean Around the World, JJ Bean and Cafe Artigiano, to name a few. But recently the introduction of McDonalds new premium roast coffee has thrown me for a loop and left me asking "What is the best cup of coffee in Vancouver?"

I've decided to try a different coffee every day this week and evaluate each one. To be fair and consistent, I'll only order a straight forward drip/filter coffee...no foo foo drinks loaded with caramel or chocolate. We're talking manly man's coffee here, the stufff that'll put hair on your chest.

Today I kicked off my morning with a large McDonalds coffee. First off, it is extremely convenient, being just around the corner from my home with plenty of free parking (that's a big deal in Vancouver)...no drive-through though. At $1.77 including tax ($1.67 in East Van) it scores high on value. The cups are freakin' amazing...the insulation keeps my beverage hot long after my commute is over (running the Olympic construction gauntlet has added 20 minutes to my drive). The new McDonalds coffee tastes like how I imagine coffee should taste - strong but not in a tongue-curling bitter way. On the caffeine front, it definitely perks me up but not so much that I'm jittery. And it has a moderate laxative factor (more on that one when I get to Starbucks!!!).

The downside is that living in a city of coffee snobs, it isn't cool to drink McDonalds. If one more person says "eeewww, you're drinking that crap" I'm going to go postal. Just try it, people. Also, the smell of french fry grease at 7 AM is a little off-putting. Wish they had a drive through.

If you couldn't already guess, McDonalds new coffee scores high in my books. I'll give it 4 beans out of 5, mainly for value, taste and those great cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment